2021 Exam Schedule
• Test will be administered over Zoom, with screen sharing of questions. The tester will need a computer, with both video and audio capabilities.
• If you prefer to take the test in person, appointments can be made to test at the MNLA Office in Okemos. Please contact Emily.
• Test is closed book/closed note format. You may not refer to any notes, textbooks, or Internet resources during your exam. You should not communicate with anyone by any means during the exam.
• You will be proctored by the MNLA through your webcam in Zoom throughout the exam.
• In case you have inquiries during the exam, you may ask the MNLA proctor during the test.
2,000 hours of Green Industry employment experience are required prior to taking the CGIP exam. Relevant education may be applied toward a portion of the required hours.
If you would like to be certified in the Landscape Design specialty, the 2,000 hours of Green Industry employment experience must be professional Landscape Design experience. In addition, a portfolio containing three representative samples of design work done by the applicant must be submitted no later than two weeks before the exam date. Click here to download the guidelines for this submittal.
What Do I Need to Know For the Exam?
• Information from the CGIP Plant Identification Exam Review CD (included with the Core Manual)
• Information in the CGIP Core Manual
• Information in your chosen CGIP Specialty Manual
• Information and knowledge gained by the applicant’s industry or collegiate experience
I’ve Met the Eligibility Requirements, But What is the Format of the Exam?
The CGIP exam is a four-hour written exam consisting of three sections:
• Section 1 — Plant Identification (from Core Manual) — Identification of 100 common landscape plants with botanical and common names via power point slides consisting of evergreen, shade and ornamental trees, evergreen and deciduous shrubs, vines and groundcovers, herbaceous perennials, annuals, bulbs, ornamental grasses, ferns and aquatic plants.
• Section 2 — General Knowledge (from Core Manual) — 150 true/false and multiple choice questions
• Section 3 – Specialty Knowledge (from Specialty Manual of your choice) — 100 true/false and multiple choice questions
How is the Exam scored?
Each of the three sections are graded separately with 70% being required to pass each section. All three sections must be passed in order to obtain certification. If one section is not passed, the applicant is only required to retake that section.
How Much Does It Cost?
CGIP Core Manual + 1 Specialty Manual (Prices include shipping):
MNLA Members: $70.00 (Or $74.20 with tax)
Non-Members: $120.00 (Or $127.20 with tax)
Additional Specialty Manuals (Prices include shipping):
MNLA Members: $35.00 (Or $37.10 with tax)
Non-Members: $60.00 (Or $63.60 with tax)
How Do I Apply?
For first time applicants, download and fill out an Application and Registration Form. Be sure to indicate the exam date that you plan to take the test. Applications must be submitted 1 week** before the exam date in order to be considered for the exam. Return the completed form to the Michigan Nursery and Landscape Association, 2149 Commons Parkway, Okemos, MI 48864.
For applicants adding a Specialty or Retaking an Exam, download and fill out a Registration Form. Be sure to indicate the exam date that you plan to take the test. Applications must be submitted 1 week** before the exam date in order to be considered for the exam. Return the completed form to the Michigan Nursery and Landscape Association, 2149 Commons Parkway, Okemos, MI 48864.
**Applications for the Landscape Design Specialty must be submitted 2 weeks before the exam date in order to be considered for the exam. The Landscape Design Prerequisite of a portfolio containing three representative samples of design work done by the applicant must be submitted with the application. Click here to download the guidelines for this submittal.
When and Where is the Exam Given?
CGIP exams will be administered at the MNLA Office in Okemos, MI on a monthly basis, from September through March.
When Will I Receive My Results?
A letter informing you of your Exam score will be mailed to you as expeditiously as possible within two to three weeks of the exam.
What is Included in My Certification?
Becoming Certified Benefits Your Professionalism in many ways, but there are several other benefits that Certified professionals also enjoy:
• A subscription to MNLA’s Award-winning, bimonthly Magazine, The Michigan Landscape™!
• MNLA electronic newsletters
• Promotion of MNLA Member Firms that employ Certified Professionals!